Saturday, October 11, 2008

Miramar Air Show

On Saturday, Oct 4, I went to the Miramar Air Show (on the Miramar military base) with Dad, Jordan and a couple of Jordan's friends. It took almost 2 hours to exit the freeway, wait in line, park, walk to the site and wait in line some more before we FINALLY were able to get in! Jordan ran off with his friends, so Dad and I spent the day together. We had lunch, walked around and looked at planes and watched the air show. If you don't sit in the stadium, it's free so we chose to bring a blanket and sit on the ground behind the stadium. I think it was much more fun that way because we could see the planes on display and get a better view of the show because the planes would fly behind the stadium part of the time and you could just stand up and watch. The weather was crazy. It would be hot and sunny one minute and cold and overcast the next. The difference in temperature must have been around 10 degrees. I left my sweatshirt in the car because it got hot but then it got cold when we left the parking lot. It would have been nice to have when it was cold, but it probably would have driven me crazy to keep having to take it off and put it on again over and over. As you can see from the pictures, sometimes it's pretty blue sky and sometimes it's gray. Luckily, it didn't start raining until after we had left. It was LOUD there. Since the planes are traveling so fast, you get no warning until they are right above you and the noise is piercing. So cool, though! The Blue Angels were the best part of the show. There are 6 planes that do all sorts of cool tricks. After they were done, we left and it took us 45 minutes to walk to our car. Sheesh! So, I was late to a babysitting gig but it turned out to be no big deal. The whole day was so much fun!


One of the first things going on when we arrived. I'm not sure what it was but it was cool

They let me pose in a plane!

Cute little planes

Army helicopter

I just thought this was cool

Random tank

That's one big helicopter

The top flips open!

I thought this looked cool

That thing was ginormous!

There were 2 military personnel chilling on top of the wing waving at passersby

Aren't those cool propellers?

It looks like it's gonna eat us

Underneath a wing

This was typical. While we were walking around, a random plane would fly overhead with pretty much no warning. Everyone would stop to watch and kids would plug their ears

This was a bit scary-looking

And then the Blue Angels

This is a crazy stunt. They fly towards each other and then at the very last second, they both angle away from each other

I don't know how they do it

They started out right next to each other and split up to form this. Much cooler to see on video but I didn't catch it

Flying around in circles

At the end, all 6 of them came together. This was AWESOME!

Jordan did 50 pushups to earn a free t-shirt!


The Blue Angels! Warning: It's loud!
(Notice the wheelies in video 4!)




To my LDS friends:
Wasn't conference awesome? We are so lucky to listen to inspired leaders who teach and guide us. We enjoyed the Saturday morning session before the air show and got to watch all of Sunday. It was great!


I love our prophet

Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Yes, I took pictures of the tv

Dad and Jared chilling and watching conference

0 is the number of people who love me: