Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Proposition 8

Dear friends,

I feel very strongly about this issue and have done a lot of research on both sides. Please know that I am not against gays/lesbians. I know many people who live that lifestyle. What I am against is same-sex MARRIAGE. This has been a struggle for me to post because I don't want to offend anyone. But, I wanted you to know the reason why I am voting YES on Proposition 8. Those against Proposition 8 will argue that it only affects them, that they simply will be given the same rights as traditional marriage (which, by the way, they already have with civil unions.) They say it is UNFAIR to same-sex couples to eliminate the right of marriage. I believe legalizing same-sex marriage will bring severe consequences to those in favor of traditional marriage. Let me explain. We have the right of freedom of religion. Yet, by redefining marriage, schools are forced to teach children that same-sex marriage and traditional marriage are the same thing, thus taking away the parent's right to teach their children religious values and beliefs, which is that only marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. Don't believe me? Massachusetts (the only other state to legalize same-sex marriage) has already done that! In addition, a class of 1st-graders in California was taken to a school-sponsored trip to a gay wedding! And to top it off, parents have no right to oppose. That, to me, is UNFAIR. Not only will schools be affected, but churches as well. Those individuals and churches opposed to same-sex marriage would refuse to perform anything but traditional marriage, which could then result in losing their authority to marry. Already, some clergy have had to retire in order to preserve their precious values. Proposition 8 is not about discrimination, it's about preserving our morals and religious rights. It will not change anything but the Supreme Court's 4-3 ruling in May 2008 to legalize same-sex marriage. Traditional marriage has ALWAYS been the standard. Yet, we are fighting this fight because of ONE extra judge who decided to overturn California voters' decision that only marriage between a man and a woman is legal. PLEASE consider the future for our families if this does not pass.

Visit this website for more information:
www.protectmarriage.com

Our church's view on the subject:
www.preservingmarriage.org

An awesome blog my friend, Mary created with information on both sides:
whatsthebigdealaboutprop8.blogspot.com

Here are some wonderful videos that portray the points I am trying to make:


0 is the number of people who love me: