Thursday, November 12, 2009

I'm famous!

So, I found out this morning that I'm in today's paper!

Here is the article:



This year, the Welk's Christmas show is a family affair for the Gray family. Not only will Justin Gray be at his usual spot in the orchestra pit as the theater's musical director, but three more members of his family will be involved.

His wife, Cathy, and his 25-year-old daughter Nicole Turner, will be sharing the position of violinist. And his 7-year-old-son, Jared, will be onstage playing Tiny Tim in a musical version of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."

"So I'll have the three of them coming to work with me," said Gray, an Escondido resident. "That's neat for me. Jared is so excited."

The Gray family's involvement grew out of the auditions for the musical, when plenty of young girls showed up, but no young boys. A second audition date garnered the same result.

"We had no Tiny Tim possibilities," said Sha Newman, the show's director. "But I remembered meeting Jared the year before and I asked Justin if Jared might be able to do the part. I figured that his family was probably musical, especially since his daughter would be playing violin in the pit."

One of the criteria for the role involved weight. Tiny Tim is brought in on the shoulders of another actor. Tipping the scales at 50 pounds, Jared fit the role perfectly (he's splitting the role with another boy Newman discovered for the 10-week run).

"Jared is adorable," said Newman. "He's also hysterical and very bright. We really lucked out. He takes his job so seriously."

The part Jared takes the most seriously is the money he'll make during his professional debut. Jared, a home schooled second-grader, is already thinking of buying a new toy train with his paycheck.

"I like that I get to have a crutch and my costume is cool," Jared said. "I like the hat too. I've seen the movie, but it had some scary parts. It won't be as scary onstage."

This version of Dickens' timeless tale is from a musical that premiered at Madison Square Garden 10 years ago. Audience members may know it best from a 2004 TV version with Kelsey Grammer starring as Ebenezer Scrooge. The score features 22 songs by Alan Menken ("The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast") and Lynn Ahrens ("Ragtime," "Seussical the Musical").

Starring in this production as Scrooge is Michael Hawkins, who recently starred as Captain Hook in the national tour of "Peter Pan."

Gray admits that being able to teach Jared the songs helps the process go smoothly. But for Jared, the very best part is the commute.

"It's going to be fun going to work with Daddy," said Jared. "My mother and sister will be coming too, except for my brother and other sister. But they'll get to come and watch it. My Grandma and Grandpa too."

"A Christmas Carol"

When: Opens Thursday and runs through Jan. 3; showtimes, 1:45 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturday and Sundays, 8 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

Where: Welk Resort Theatre, 8860 Lawrence Welk Drive, Escondido

Tickets: $39-$57 performance only; $45-$73 with buffet

Info: 888-802-7469

Web: www.WelkTheatreSanDiego.com


1 is the number of people who love me:

karlie said...

What an amazing family you have. So talented! Your baby is getting big! What a cutie!