Friday, July 1, 2011

Del Mar Fair

Yes, technically it's called the "San Diego County Fair", but it will always be the "Del Mar Fair" to me. We went a couple weeks ago on $3 Tuesday. I thought it would be really crowded, but it was only crowded as we arrived. It opened at 11:00 and we arrived at the free parking lot at 10:40. By the time we actually got IN to the parking lot, it was 11:00 and then 50 minutes waiting in line for the shuttle to take us to the fair, since we're too cheap to pay $15 to park right outside the gates. So, by the time we were actually inside, it was already noon, but that's ok. We had so much fun! The whole day went by so fast. We started out with a picnic lunch and then looked at the shops, saw the animals (including the pig races and turkey stampede), browsed photography, woodworking and home ecs, watched a little of the Bill Engvall show, bought dinner and of course had to try some more deep-fried food.

I love the fair atmosphere. The weather was cool and overcast, which was absolutely perfect!

Jared and his friend went on rides. They're up there someplace.

At 6 months pregnant, I have a hard time walking, so I rode in a wheelchair most of the day. Seriously, best ride at the fair.

Sweet girl

Claire loved the animals

What's wrong with this picture?

Outside the photography, there was a table with cards and markers to create your own masterpiece and put on the bulletin board so Claire and I decided to add to the creations.

This was an actual display in home ecs. Really?

Claire watching Bill Engvall

Jared got tired, so Claire pushed him in the wheelchair

Ok, the burger looks like a burger, same with the hot dog. But, the cold drinks don't really look thirst-quenching.

It was $2 taste day, so at every booth they had a certain food you could try, which was usually about half the regular portion size. It was really a great deal. I tried the chocolate-covered corn dog, which was... interesting.

My mom and I shared this ice cream cookie sandwich. Oh my goodness - delicious!

You can't go to the fair without trying something deep-fried. Ever since they started with the twinkie (which I tried and is delicious, but artery-clogging), I've tried something new every year. My decision this year?

Deep fried girl scout cookies - thin mints! They were very yummy, but my body took a while to forgive me. It was worth it.

0 is the number of people who love me: