Friday, August 8, 2008

International Youth Symphony concert - CCAE

So, we started out the day with a "dress rehearsal" at the California Center for the Arts Escondido, which isn't really a dress rehearsal; you just wear street clothes and practice onstage. Sorta like a sound check. We pretty much ran through the symphonies and that was it. It started at 2 and was supposed to go until 4 but we ended around 3:15 and gave the rest of the time to the Venezuelan quartet in our group who was also performing. We watched them for a bit from the house and then a bunch of us decided to go eat someplace. I brought my change of clothes with me just in case I didn't want to go home in between, even though it's only 10 minutes away. I'm glad I did. We all walked to Sizzler across the street (there were like 20 of us) and then walked down Grand Ave to Cruisin' Grand. Escondido does this every Friday night April through September where people bring their old classic cars to show off. It's really fascinating. The foreign students hadn't seen anything like it so we had fun. While we were walking, someone drove past on a motorcycle and they had their radio blaring. As they drove past, the music from the radio went down in pitch (just like a Europeon siren) and it sounded funny so I commented about it and everyone laughed and agreed with me. I felt at home with a bunch of musicians who have the same corny sense of humor that I do. When I'm with other friends, they just think I'm a nerd. :) About 6:00, we walked back to the center to change into our concert black and warm-up for the concert. The concert started at 7:30 and it went really well. We were all able to follow the director well and there were few mistakes. The only major mistake was that during one of the symphonies, Natan (2nd violins) dropped his bow on the floor. It was funny, but at the same time it wasn't because it kinda disturbed the mood of the piece. That doesn't happen very often. I've lost the grip on my bow, but luckily, not in a concert; only at home when I'm practicing. The first half of the concert consisted of Mozart's Symphony #35 and Shostakovich's Quartet #8. The second half, we played Beethoven's Symphony #4. After the concert, the Venezuelans started playing quartets backstage in the warm-up room as we were packing up so we suggested they go out to the lobby and play for everyone. So they did. They played 2 quartets and were a hit! Thanks to everyone who came! I love playing for an audience. Afterwards, I came home and watched the rest of the Olympics Opening Ceremonies and found out I missed all the good stuff. Well, at least what I saw was neat.



Inside the concert hall after the rehearsal. I'm in the balcony closest to the camera.


The Venezuelan quartet rehearsing onstage


This was after the rehearsal before dinner. Most people brought a change of clothes and Christophe and Lorenz didn't want to bring two pairs of shoes. So they made a fashion statement.


Magda, Andrea, Lauren and Martin in a 1930 Model A Ford


Dejana, Maria, Daniel and Christophe wanted to cruise, too


Daniel, Giulia, Natan and Martin backstage


Martin and Katie looking cool


Kimberley and her flute


The Venezuelans are goofy. Omar is being flirty


Of course I had to get a picture with them


Me and Katie with our instruments


Me and Dejana


I bugged Andrea as she was warming up


Me with Lauren and Magda


This was as we were getting the announcement that we were going to start the concert soon


I think this is my favorite picture of all time. Roberto, Willie and Omar are brothers from Venezuela and make up 3/4 of the quartet. This is how goofy they always are. And then we have Lauren in the background


Onstage right after the concert. There I am in front.
(Notice how the director looks drained)


Here's a better view of us.


And this was taken from the balcony. Here is our whole orchestra.


The quartet serenading the guests in the lobby after the concert


Here is the front of the program


The program order


This was also in the program. This way you can get a better idea of who I'm referring to in the pictures.


I found out we were in the paper! I'm on the far right.



Have you ever wondered what it sounds like in a warm-up room?



After the concert, the quartet serenaded us backstage (sorry the sound quality isn't the best)

1 is the number of people who love me:

Katie Clark said...

That Quartet is so AWESOME!!!