Saturday, August 9, 2008

International Youth Symphony concert - PLNU

The concert tonight was held at Point Loma Nazarene University in Crill Hall. It took me 50 minutes to get there (including 10 minutes driving around campus trying to find the hall.) On the way back, it only took 45 minutes. Meaning it took 5 minutes to drive from the entrance of the university to the concert hall. Crazy! We started out with a sound check from 6 to 7 and then hung out backstage before the concert started at 8. A bunch of us played cards in between the rehearsal and concert. We played Crazy Rummy and then Christophe taught us a German game (I don't remember what it was called) that was really fun. The concert itself went really well. We played better than last night. This will probably be the concert they use for the cd (we are always recorded during the concerts and have cds made.) The only problem was that Omar (violist who sat behind me) lost the grip on his bow and it hit his instrument during a REALLY quiet part where it is pizzicato (plucking the string.) He got a nice glare from the director. (At least he didn't drop it on the floor.) Since I didn't see it, I asked Omar afterwards what happened and he said, "Excuse me for dropping my bow, but I wasn't the only one." He was referring to Natan. It was funny! During intermission, we all gathered around the piano in the warm-up room while a couple people played some modern pop music and we all sang along. It was fun! After the concert, we said our goodbyes (boy, that was hard.) There are a few more activites going on this week after the concert, but I can't go to any of them because of Les Mis rehearsals. :( So, I had to say goodbye to everyone after the concert. The European and South American ways of saying goodbye differ from ours. We just hug, but they kiss first. Some are just one kiss and some are two. It was interesting getting kissed by 3 Venezuelan guys. All in all, these past 2 weeks were the greatest! I learned so much and gained a lot of friendships. I am gonna miss everyone SOOO much. But, at least I know that next time I visit Europe, I will have a place to stay in Belgium, Poland, Germany, Holland, etc. I seriously think I will travel there someday and visit everyone. I am so glad I got to participate in this summer program. I have many wonderful memories of hard work and good times. Hopefully, they'll invite me back next year. :)


This is the view from Point Loma Nazarene University. Beautiful!


Backstage warming up for the concert


Willie, Daniel, Magda (twirling the bow), Christophe and Lauren


Lauren posing with the quartet. They were so much fun to pose with.


Marjan playing her oboe


Marie-Luise playing her flute


And the three of us together


Gathered around the piano while Kevin and Andy serenaded us (sorry it's blurry)


Marie-Luise played the piano while Michael and Gaeton watched


After the concert, the boys showed off their Venezuela jackets


I know this is terribly blurry, but I love this picture. We asked them to act mad, so they did.

0 is the number of people who love me: