Thursday, August 7, 2008

International Youth Symphony rehearsal - Day 7

Yesterday was kinda difficult. Lots and lots of detail work. Hardly any run-throughs. But, we got a LOT accomplished and feel like we're ready for the concerts. Now, I know you are probably bored with all my rambling about rehearsals, but this is mostly for my benefit, so I can remember everything. This past week and a half has been one of the toughest, but one of the most rewarding times of my musical life. I have learned SOOO much and have built new friendships. I have a renewed appreciation for Mozart and Beethoven and have learned a lot about the specific symphonies we're playing by listening to other people's parts, seeing how everything intertwines and "clicks" when it's played right, finding patterns and reasons for certain themes and statements and so many other things. I have learned the difference between "correct" and "right." "Right" has a deeper meaning and it's not just mechanical, but heart-felt. I could go on and on, but I will leave it at that for now.

I taught 3 students later in the day and after my second one, I should have had about a 10-minute break until I had to leave for my last student at her house. So, I was going to take that opportunity to get gas on the way since I was super low. Anyway, I accidently went 10 minutes over with my second student (I never do that without knowing it,) so when I realized it, I quickly ended the lesson and scrambled out the door. I go to the cheapest gas station around and there was a line longer than I've ever seen. At this point I'm very worried. I've wasted the precious time I had just GETTING to the gas station and I don't think I'm gonna make it to the student without running out of gas, but there are no other cheap gas stations around. So, I decided to say a quick prayer and head to my student's house. Fortunately, I made it, but by the time I got there and got ready for the lesson, I started 15 minutes late (something I HATE doing, but she was very forgiving.) After the lesson, we spent 15 minutes scheduling the rest of the month (since I have Les Mis conflicts coming up) and payment and such. So, I leave and go get gas on the way back while the idiot light is blaring at me. Douglas had ordered pizza during my student and wanted me to pick it up afterwards. So, after I get gas and pick up the pizza (almost an hour after it was done,) I ended up arriving at home 45 minutes later than I should have. So, we ate pizza at 9:15 before I had to go to bed at 10. Sheesh!

0 is the number of people who love me: