Friday, August 8, 2008

International Youth Symphony rehearsal - Day 8

Yesterday was bittersweet. We did some last-minute detail work and some run-throughs and then it was over. As much as I'm looking forward to sleeping in and giving my back a rest, I have really enjoyed making music with some great people from all over the world. Our conductor tells us that some of the greatest moments in making music come from the rehearsal room and not the concert. That's so true. We all appreciate when a soloist plays something beautifully after struggling with it or hearing a final product after working so hard. I just wish the audience could experience what goes on in the rehearsal room so they would appreciate the concerts all the more. As you can see, we've had a lot of fun:



Christophe (Germany), Lorenz (Austria), Magda (Poland), Marjan (Belgium),
Kimberly (Holland), Marie Luise (Germany) and me


Daniel (Israel), Giulia (Italy), Omar (Venezuela), Magda (Poland), Willie (Venezuela)
and Roberto (Venezuela) in front


Willie (violinist) attempting to play cello. It was actually quite funny


Willie playing Roberto's cello and Roberto posing on top of the trash can


After rehearsal (some continue to play)


Packing up


Getting ready to leave


And this is where it all took place - in a middle school classroom




I'm sure most people won't find this as funny as we did. He's actually playing real cello pieces, but not in tune or smoothly. It sounds as if a beginner is playing, but really advanced stuff. It's a really funny combination. The background noise is people practicing in the rehearsal room.

2 is the number of people who love me:

Jessica said...

I am so amazed by you! I wish that I had some kind of incredible, mind blowing talent. Someday when we finally make the trip to San Diego, I want to see you and get some kind of performance!

Nicole said...

You are so sweet! I'd love to see you and of course I would perform for you!