Tuesday, August 5, 2008

International Youth Symphony rehearsal - Day 6

Today was interesting. At one point, the conductor had us play our parts as a quartet (meaning first chair of 1st violins, 2nd violins, violas and cellos instead of everybody.) Since I am first chair viola, that meant I had to play my part alone in a quartet, which was really nerve-racking. It was the hardest movement, too! Then we played the same thing as an octet (adding one more of each instrument) and that was better. It sounded really neat that way. The conductor was trying to make a point by saying we all need to have confidance and be able to hold the parts really tight just as if we were the only ones playing. During our last break, Katie (bassoonist) and I explored the school to see what all there was (and since we wouldn't be there for much longer) and when we came back, the rehearsal had already started. Yikes! So, we got to hear what some of the Mozart symphony sounded like without playing it. So, we snuck in and took our places. Luckily, the director didn't say anything. My back started to hurt again (pretty bad this time) but I got through it. At the end of rehearsal, the director gave us a long pep talk to get us pumped up and then told us to go socialize! So, we got to get out of rehearsal early. The international students were going to Souplantation for lunch so a few of us decided to join them. Then I came home and taught 4 students. And, of course watched America's Got Talent! Now, I get to repeat it all again tomorrow!


Natan (Israel), Marie Luise (Germany), Martin (Bulgaria) at Souplantation

0 is the number of people who love me: